Current as of: 1st December 2019
When you accept our products or services, contact us, or visit JD Dental Care website at www.jddentalcare.com.au you agree to the handling of your personal information according to this policy.
Why and when your consent is necessary?
When you register as a patient of our practice, you provide consent for our dental practitioners and practice staff to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible dental care. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will generally seek additional consent from you to do this, unless obtaining your consent is not practical or reasonable, and an exception under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) applies.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our practice will need to collect your personal information to provide dental services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your dental health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, practice audits and accreditation, business processes (e.g. staff training) and to comply with any legislation or regulations as required.
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- name/s, date of birth, address/es, contact details (e.g. telephone, email), family contact information
- personal details such as age and gender
- details of your oral health condition and the treatment/s and service/s you have received
- details of your general health (e.g. medications, allergies, medical conditions) and medical history that may impact the dental treatment you receive
- private health insurance information
- Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes
- information regarding other funding sources, where relevant (e.g. Child Dental Benefits Schedule, Department of Veterans’ Affairs)
- information on workers’ compensation, motor vehicle and other accident claims, where relevant
- healthcare identifiers, where relevant.
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals. However, some of JD Dental Care services can be provided only if we have your personal information.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our practice may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- When you make your first appointment our practice staff will collect your personal information via your registration.
- During the course of providing dental services, we may collect further personal information.
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian or responsible person
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists and diagnostic imaging services
- your health fund, Medicare, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (as necessary)
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with third parties who work with our practice for business purposes, such as information technology providers – these third parties are required to comply with APPs
- with other healthcare providers where required to provide you dental/ health services
- when it is required or authorised by law (e.g. court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- to assist in locating a missing person
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (e.g. some diseases require mandatory notification)
- To your nominated emergency contact
- To government and regulatory bodies including Medicare
- To third party health benefit providers and insurance companies (sensitive health information will not be provided)
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing dental services or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
From time to time JD Dental Care may contact you with information about our products and services, offers, product launches or information about our business partners. You may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our practice in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our practice in various forms. – paper records
- electronic records
- visual records (X-rays, CT scans, videos and photos)
- visual records (X-rays, CT scans, videos and photos)
Our practice stores all personal information securely and protected from unauthorized access or disclosure.
We maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security for our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of personal information. This also applies to disposal of personal information. We will destroy personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our practice?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our practice acknowledges patients may request access to their dental records. We ask that you put this request in writing to email@example.com or in person at our office. We will require you to fill in and sign a Record release consent form.
Our practice will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our practice is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and to assist us with attending to your request we would prefer you to make such requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at our office.
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our practice?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing or in person at our office. We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period (30 business days).
JD Dental Care
Suite 2, Level 4, 15 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
You may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). The OAIC may decide not to investigate your complaint if you have not raised it with the practice first. If you have lodged a complaint with us, and we have not responded within 30 bussines days or you are dissatisfied with our response, you may then take your complaint to the OAIC.
For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
Privacy and our website
JD Dental Care may provide links to third-party websites that may have privacy policies different from us. JD Dental Care is not responsible for the privacy policies of such third party websites and encourages you to read the privacy policies of every website you visit.
JD Dental Care with the help of Google site statistics, monitors the visitors to our website www.jddentalcare.com.au. Based on your visit to this website, Google and third-party sites may elect to show you similar content.
Policy review statement
This policy was last updated December 2019.