If you have a dental emergency that involves dental pain, broken teeth, facial swelling, or have had an accident with your teeth; contact us and we will do everything we can to see you as soon as possible.
Knocked out tooth
These teeth can be saved by acting fast, time is the most critical factor. Teeth that are replanted within 30 minutes have the best chance of surviving.
What to do
- Handle the tooth only by the crown (whiter/wider part) and not by the root (yellow/ thinner par)
- If tooth is clean: replant immediately using other teeth as reference and hold it in place with finger pressure or biting down.
- If tooth is dirty: clean it always handling it by the crown and replant. Best way to clean it is rinsing with milk or get the patient to gently suck it clean. Never scrape or rub the root surface
- If unable to replant: keep the tooth moist by submerging it in milk or get the patient to hold it in the mouth next to the check. Do not store in water or detergent or leave it to dry.
Seek immediate dental treatment
If playing sports, injuries to the mouth and face are more common. Mouthguards help prevent trauma to the teeth, mouth, lips, cheeks and tongue. The can also help prevent other serious injuries such as concussions, jaw fractures and neck injuries. The most effective mouthguards are those made by your dentist form a mould of your teeth, they provide the best protection and comfort.
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to come through the gums usually in late teens, twenties or even older. Some wisdom teeth become wedge in or impacted and may cause severe problems like infection, pain, damage to nearby tooth, food trap, ulcers and sometimes cysts. If you have infection or pain related to a wisdom tooth, contact us. At JD Dental Care in Melbourne City, we will aim to reduce or stop the pain first and after clinical and radiographic inspection, we will discuss the treatment options. Symptoms of wisdom teeth infection:
- Redness and swelling of the gum around the tooth
- Swollen lymph glands under jaw
- Oozing pus through the gum or taste in the mouth
- Difficulty or pain opening you mouth
Natural teeth always function better than artificial teeth like Implants, bridges or dentures. However, sometimes extraction is the best treatment option when other efforts to preserve the tooth might not give you the best outcome over the long term. Gum disease, cracks, appearance, trauma or lack of function are other reasons for tooth removal.
Tooth extraction will only be done after careful examination and discussion of your treatment options. To prevent movement of neighbouring teeth and keep a healthy bite and smile, we might recommend teeth replacement options after extraction.
If you have an emergency or a broken tooth that needs removal, please contact us at our clinic conveniently located in Melbourne City